Mobile web browser that’s focused on privacy and data saving
Opera Browser is a handy Android port of the famous desktop browser by the same name; it aims to make browsing as fast as possible via caching and compression as well as preserve privacy, all while maintaining a superb user experience.
Opera may not be the best known browser, but it's been around for a long time, and their polished product showcases their development experience. It has modern tabs that are easy to use, and it gives the feeling of a full browser, rather than the skimpy performance we've come to accept from mainstream mobile browsers.
Opera Browser now offers a free service that debuted first on desktop browsers: free VPN. This is what sets this browser apart from all others. For any other browser, you need to purchase a separate VPN if you choose to use one. This VPN is completely free and doesn't have ads; it even supports multiple locations.
Finally, Opera Browser is great for users who want a full experience. It has a great user interface and has support for many advanced tweaks and settings that other browsers don't come close to offering. If you're looking for a minimalist setup with only the basic options, this app may feel a bit too advanced for your comfort. For some users, it may be worth the download just to have a free VPN whenever you need it.
- From a well-known company in the browser industry
- Has a free VPN client with currently four country choices
- Has a fuller feature set than some browsers
- May feel too weighed down for some users
- Has many settings and options that may clog the app for basic users
- Bug fixes
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- RECORD_AUDIO: Allows an application to record audio.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- BLUETOOTH: Allows applications to connect to paired bluetooth devices.
- BLUETOOTH_ADMIN: Allows applications to discover and pair bluetooth devices.
- CHANGE_WIFI_MULTICAST_STATE: Allows applications to enter Wi-Fi Multicast mode.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS: Allows an application to modify global audio settings.
- NFC: Allows applications to perform I/O operations over NFC.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW: Allows an app to create windows using the type TYPE_SYSTEM_ALERT, shown on top of all other apps. Very few apps should use this permission; these windows are intended for system-level interaction with the user.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.